ISO/IEC 17024 provides a global benchmark for personnel certification programmes to ensure that they operate in a consistent, comparable and reliable manner worldwide, thereby allowing individuals to have skills that translate across national lines.
In response to the worldwide growth of the rope access industry, IRATA recognises the value of being accredited by an independent third party to verify compliance to the principles and standards set out in this internationally recognised standard.
The principle requirements of the standard address:
- Impartiality - undue influence by other interests or other parties
- Competence - competence of personnel acting on behalf of the Certification Body
- Confidentiality and openness - balance between confidentiality & openness
- Responsiveness to complaints and appeals - effective resolution of complaints/appeals
- Responsibility - to obtain sufficient objective evidence upon which to base a certification decision
Accreditation to this standard will provide assurance that IRATA meets a global, industry recognised benchmark and certified IRATA rope access technicians:
- Work to consistent, comparable and reliable safe working practices worldwide;
- have the necessary knowledge and skills; and
- are certified by a validated certification body to ensure they are recognised by employers.
The initial scope of certification of persons will cover IRATA Technicians Levels 1 to 3.
Work is underway, watch this space!