Replacement Documents

If you have lost or damaged your IRATA Logbook, ID Card or Certificate and require a replacement, please follow the link to our interactive Technician Document Replacement Request Form.

Once completed and submitted to IRATA, an invoice for the replacement documentation will be raised based on the information provided, this will be forwarded to you via email.

Please note that proof of your identification (government issued photographic ID and proof of address) will be required to proceed with your request.

Please Note that if you are an IRATA Member Company, you can apply for replacement documents using the “Technician Replacement Document Consent Form (TMC)_FM-319ENG” located HERE in the Members area.