The competence of IRATA-certified Technicians engaged in industrial rope access activities is a fundamental component of IRATA’s safe system of work. As such, Candidates being assessed for Level 3 IRATA Certification are required to undergo an Assessment, that consists of a theory examination and practical Assessment, as per the ‘IRATA Training, Assessment and Certification Scheme (TACS)’ [TC-101ENG].
The Theory Examination is only a requirement for all Level 3 IRATA candidates (both candidates who are upgrading from Level 2 to Level 3, and candidates revalidating to Level 3).
Level 1 and level 2 candidates will be asked questions by the Assessor about the training they received to demonstrate they have an awareness of rope access theory knowledge.
The Level 3 Exam is a computer-based exam that lasts 30 minutes and consists of 10 questions. It will take place before the practical assessment and on the same calendar day as the practical assessment.
The exam can contain the following question types:
- True or false - Read the statement, decide whether the statement is true or false, and then click either the true or false option
- Multiple choice - Click the correct answer to the question from the answers provided.
- Drag and drop - This type of question will include an image or text where you will need to drag the appropriate labels into the correct areas.
- Drop-down - Read the statements and select the right answer from the drop-down boxes provided.
The outcomes of the exam are as follows:
- Pass = Greater than or equal to 70%
- Minor Discrepancy = Greater than or equal to 50% but less than 70%
- Major Discrepancy = Less than 50%
The exam will test you on the following topics covered (as per TACS section 18.104.22.168)
- hazard identification and risk assessment;
- selection of access method;
- selection of personnel and competence;
- safety method statement;
- exclusion zones, protection of third parties and permits to work;
- planning for emergencies;
- first aid and suspension intolerance;
More information can be found in ‘Level 3 Theory Examination Categories & References’ [FM-412ENG] located here.
What to expect on Assessment day
IRATA has prepared the document ‘Guidance for Candidates Undergoing IRATA Assessments’ [FM-381ENG] (located here) to detail what to expect for the entirety of the assessment day. IRATA have also prepared a sample exam (located here) to help familiarise yourself with the Level 3 Technician Theory Exam in advance of completing the exam at your assessment.